Cannot load blog information at this time.

Top Posts & Pages

Featured Hygge Lifestyle Motivation

The Things I Do Every Night Before Bed

August 26, 2019

Happy Monday Lovely Readers!

A while back, I did a post on my morning routine. While I am 100% a morning person, I try to use my mornings to relax and enjoy the first part of my day instead of jumping right into work.

This means all my ‘to do’s’ are put in my nightly routine. There are some things I do at night that a lot of people prefer to do in the morning. That’s okay! it’s all about personal preference. What matters is you are designing your morning and evening in a way that sets you up for success 🙂

Here is what my nightly routine looks like on a normal day to day basis:

My overall routine:

My routine varies a little night to night. This is usually due to my workout schedule. You may remember that I structure my workouts in a specific way to make sure I am getting the best results. I cycle through a wide range of workouts throughout the week from strength, cardio to stretch. This means that the timing of my routine varies each night, however, I still do the same things overall.

7 Things I always do before Bed:

1. Workout
  2. Eat
  3. Shower
  4. Skin Care Routine
  5. Tea and mask
  6. Prep for the following day
  7. Read a Book

After my workout, I come home and eat dinner and shower. Next step, skin care! I always do my full skin care routine before bed. If you are going to do a skin care routine just once a day, aim to do it at night. This helps cleanse your face from all the stuff your face has accumulated over the day. Plus, cleaning off all that sweat and dirt will make sure that you are less likely to wake up with irritation or breakouts.

Then I like to utilise about 20 minutes to go over the next day’s schedule to mentally prepare, and pick out my outfit. This helps me save time in the morning and makes me feel more put together and prepared the next morning.

Tips to wind down your evening

Over the years, I have become really good at using my evening routine to both get everything ready for the next day and get the proper amount of sleep. A lot of people have a difficult time winding down after their day. So here are my top tips to help you set yourself up for a productive morning and ease your way into a relaxing evening.

• Put your phone/tv/computer away 1 hour before bed
  • Lay out your clothes for the next day
  • Go over tomorrow’s schedule
  • Get a good bed time book–but not one that’s too interesting 😉
  • Stop eating at least two hours before bedtime

Incorporate some self care

For me, I always do a sheet mask after my shower. It is my 15 minutes a day to relax and have some me time. Plus, giving your skin that extra loving can’t hurt!

I have been using these amazing Farmacy sheet masks! They are newer to the market and are kind of different to what I was used to. I wanted to switch brands because I found that my old sheet masks had mineral oil in them, which is on my top list of bad beauty ingredients.

I believe that it is so important for your mental health to invest in self care at least once a day. This can be something as small as grabbing a cup of coffee from your fave cafe before work. You don’t need to go crazy, but do something to remind yourself that you are important. If you need some self-care inspiration, check out my list of 20 Self-Care Sunday Ideas!

Join 441 other subscribers

Deborah Hunter Kells
    August 26, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Your routine has inspired me – mine needs definite work. Just quite a few things on top of me and sometimes we don’t have the conveniences I wish. However, I will plan to work around them. I love baths and we (alas!) don’t have one. I can use some skin care so will put that in my “must do”. 🙂

Blue DeBell
      August 27, 2019 at 12:34 pm

I didn’t have a bath tub for a while 🙁 I really missed having one! I think part of getting into a good routine is finding something that works for your workload and schedule. It’s just about making extra effort to make your life easier in the long run <3 thank you for stopping by to read!

Holly
    August 27, 2019 at 2:11 am

I often think that working out at night will make it harder to fall asleep- but you make it sound like it works well. I also love the idea of thinking through the next day and picking out your outfit- this would definitely save me some time and stress in the morning!

Blue DeBell
      August 27, 2019 at 12:35 pm

I love working out at night, I actually feel like I sleep better. I fall asleep quicker and I go to bed feeling relaxed, so I don’t wake up at night as much 🙂 I am glad you found some of these tips helpful 🙂

• Jenn Flynn-Shon
        August 29, 2019 at 1:50 pm

I need to get back into a routine of reading at night. Can’t read in bed – instant sleep – but for an hour or so before crashing out. Your routine sounds easy to follow nightly.

• Blue DeBell
        August 31, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Thank you! For me, I have to find a book that I can put down easily, or I will stay up all night reading! I am glad you found this post useful 🙂

Jalisa Marie
    August 27, 2019 at 3:25 am

Aside from skincare I need to start making a before bed list

Blue DeBell
      August 27, 2019 at 12:36 pm

It really helps smooth out my night! I hope some of these tips help inspire you to create a routine that works for you 🙂

Disha Smith
    August 27, 2019 at 12:03 pm

After reading your post, I realized that I need to better my nighttime routine. I love doing a simple facemask and then reading a book until I fall asleep.

Blue DeBell
      August 27, 2019 at 12:37 pm

I am glad you found these tips helpful! Face masks and reading are my favourite way to relax and treat myself 🙂

Nicole Kauffman
    August 27, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Love these ideas! I’m so bad at being intentional with my evening routine, especially when I’m tired!!

Blue DeBell
      August 27, 2019 at 12:38 pm

It is hard to get into a routine, but once you settle in, it becomes easy to follow 🙂 I feel like it’s almost a habit by now

poutineandprada
    August 27, 2019 at 4:48 pm

Your routine looks great. Your skin must be absolutely glowing!

Blue DeBell
      August 31, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Thank you so much! I love the face masks! I wake up with such fresh skin, and it makes getting ready for work easier because I can spend less time on makeup 🙂

Kelsey
    August 27, 2019 at 7:40 pm

I have been on a self care kick lately and I’m loving it- just a little 15 minute meditation nap can totally turn my day around. I am like you, I’m a morning person but I don’t want to work right away, I want to enjoy the morning.

Blue DeBell
      August 31, 2019 at 1:35 pm

I’ve not tried a meditation nap! That sounds so refreshing! Thank you for reading 🙂

Kelly Diane
    September 2, 2019 at 8:21 pm

I really need to take some of these tips on board, especially the putting your phone down an hour before bed.